Sunday, October 15, 2006

"If All Arkansas Read the Same Book"

I picked up Shirley Abbott's The Bookmaker's Daughter at my local library because I have fond memories of Ms. Abbott's book Womenfolks: Growing Up Down South from my ninth grade history class. Truly, very few memories of the actual book, but lots of memories of passionate discussions among teen girls about being a "woman" and being "Southern". I was a couple of chapters into The Bookmaker's Daughter when I learned that it is currently Arkansas State Library's "If All Arkansas Read the Same Book" selection. Well, I've done my part. I was even considering going to our local library's lecture, book signing and lunch...until I realized it is being held Monday at 11:30am. I shall be working, like any healthy, productive person between the ages of 18-65 on a Monday mid-morning. WTF, Fayetteville Public Library, WTF?

Anywho, the book is a lovely reminiscence of family, and a fair amount of politics, in post-Depression era Arkansas(not too different from the late 70's early 80's Arkansas when I was a little girl). Ms. Abbott lays it all out there...the good, the bad and the ugly, without forfeiting any love or loyalty to the people or the place that raised her. Besides, just look at that cover photo! Isn't that great? Doesn't it just make you wish that men still wore hats and had the home-trainin' to take 'em off indoors and especially at the supper table?

So, to a wallow further in Arkansas nostalgia...I'm gonna give this a go. Remember Designing Women, people? Remember Evening Shade? Er, well, remember Designing Women???

No comments: